Riane Eisler – Exploring Sacred Pleasure: Sex, Myth, and the Politics of the Body
Aired Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 4:00 PM PST / 7:00 PM EST
“Our deepest and most powerful human yearning is for connection – for sex, for love, for all that gives pleasure and meaning to our lives. Yet sexual violence is commonplace, and the ‘war of the sexes’ continues to perpetuate misunderstanding and pain. Why does this struggle persist? What can we do to reclaim our innate power to give and receive pleasure and to find meaning in our lives?”
That short passage was taken from a book published 24 years ago. As has become evident over the past few years, those words have been growing more relevant with each passing year. The book is Sacred Pleasure: Sex, Myth, And the Politics of the Body… New Paths to Power and Love. Its author, cultural historian, social systems scientist, and best-selling author of The Chalice and the Blade, Dr. Riane Eisler, joins Sandie this week to discuss:
* The truths about sex that have been swept under the rug of religious dogma and scientific jargon.
* The sexual myths that have corrupted male/female relationships over the millennia
* How and why domination and violence have been eroticized and even sanctified
* How sexuality is constructed differently in a partnership Vs. dominator
* And, most important of all, how we can construct a society in which the unfolding of our higher selves through physical and spiritual union can be socially supported instead of distorted and repressed.
RIANE EISLER is a social systems scientist, cultural historian, and attorney whose research, writing, and speaking has transformed the lives of people worldwide. She is President of the Center for Partnership Studies (CPS) and Editor-in-Chief of the Interdisciplinary Journal of Partnership Studies.
A refugee from Nazi Europe as a child, she has addressed the UN General Assembly, the US Department of State and Congressional Briefings, and authored over 500 articles published in outlets including The Christian Science Monitor, Human Rights Quarterly, and International Journal of Women’s Studies. Her book The Chalice and The Blade: Our History, Our Future is an international bestseller.